If all you have is a weekend and you live in Jo’burg, Bloem or Durban, then Clarens is just the place for you, especially if you plan on making more than one visit.
The reason it’ll probably be more than one visit is because Clarens is a world apart from the crazy rush of everyday life in the city, and it begs you to explore from one end of this valley to the other.
It’s a truly breath-taking valley that lives between the hills of the Maluti Mountains and the Rooiberge (Red Mountain), bringing to life the natural beauty that changes colour with each season that passes.
Clarens Eddies B&B and Self Catering plays host to hundreds of visitors every year who are looking for a weekend away with a difference, and, considering the rave reviews guests give this accommodation, it’s the best place to start an adventure in Clarens.
With rooms for couples, singles and self-catering units for friends and family, the centrally situated location of Clarens Eddies means that everything you’d like to do is right on your doorstep.
The only times you’ll need to get behind the steering wheel is if:
- You’d like to visit Golden Gate National Park to take in the prolific flora and fauna in this beautiful area.
- You’re up for a bit of skiing and head out to Afriski Mountain Resort for adventure when the snow starts piling up in this rugged region in the heart of the Drakensberg-Maluti Mountains.
- You’re ready to tackle a pony trek through the Maluti Mountains on Basotho ponies that are born to travail breath-taking, rugged terrain with sure-footed strength.
- If going up, up and away in a hot air balloon takes your fancy, the basket is waiting for you, just a hop skip and a jump away from Clarens Eddies, and since there’s no better way to take in the sheer magnificence of this valley, you won’t mind the short drive there.
- Interested in entertainment with a difference in the open air? Then taking a drive to watch a live performance laid on by the Basotho Cultural Village will be right up your alley. The sandstone amphitheatre that hosts these performances is the perfect backdrop for sharing the story of a culture that dates back to the 16th
Here’s what to do without having to get behind the steering wheel:
- Take a walk to the Clarens village square, where you’ll be kept busy for as many hours as you’d like, visiting art galleries, peering into gift shops, moseying through an eclectic array of craft markets and answering the sirens call of a world of cuisines calling your name from sidewalk cafes and restaurants.
- Take a hike, literally! The hiking trails in and around Clarens are magnificent, and cater to all levels of fitness. First prize is to be had when Dawn Trevelyan, owner of Clarens Eddies, shares with you the intimate knowledge of all the hiking trails you can enjoy on your doorstep.
- Feed your love of history, which encompasses everything from the sandstone architecture that is still very much part of Clarens today, to the Clarens Museum.
- Close your door at Clarens Eddies and ride out on your bicycle to experience the fresh air and scenery that makes cycling in Clarens a must for keen cyclists.
- Or…Relax on the couch and enjoy the works of local artists right there on the wall of your home away from home, without moving an inch, except perhaps to grab a munchies out of the fridge!
But, if you’d really like to know what ‘there’s more’ really means, contact Dawn and her staff for the real inside scoop, it’s guaranteed to whet your appetite enough to get you ready to pack up the car!